Re: [Xen-devel] [PROPOSAL] Event channel for SMP-VMs: per-vCPU or per-OS?

On 30/10/13 08:35, Luwei Cheng wrote:

> [...]
>     > are per-OS (such as I/O interrupts: network and disk).
>     > For SMP-VMs, it is possible that when one vCPU is waiting in the
>     scheduling
>     > queue, another vCPU is running. So, if the I/O events can be
>     dynamically
>     > routed to the running vCPU, the events can be processed quickly,
>     without
>     > suffering from VM scheduling delays (tens of milliseconds). On the
>     other
>     > hand, no reschedule operations are introduced.
>     >
>     > Though users can set IRQ affinity in the guest OS, the current
>     > implementation forces to bind the IRQ to the first vCPU of the
>     > affinity mask [events.c: set_affinity_irq].
>     > If the hypervisor delivers the event to a different vCPU, the event
>     > will get lost because the guest OS has masked out this event in all
>     > non-notified vCPUs [events.c: bind_evtchn_to_cpu].
>     >
>     > [New Design]
>     > For per-OS event channel, add “vCPU affinity” support: one-to-many.
>     > The “affinity” should be consistent with the
>     ‘/proc/irq/#/smp_affinity’
>     > of the
>     > guest OS and users can change the mapping at runtime. But by default,
>     > all vCPUs should be enabled to serve I/O.
>     >
>     > When such flexibility is enabled, I/O balancing among vCPUs can be
>     > offloaded to the hypervisor. “irqbalance” is designed for physical
>     > SMP systems, not virtual SMP systems.
>
> Thanks for your echoing, David.
>
>     It's an interesting idea but I'm not sure how useful it will be in
>     practise as often work is deferred to threads in the guest rather than
>     done directly in the interrupt handler.
>
> Sure, but if the interrupt handler is not called timely, no irq threads will
> be created.
>

>     I don't see any way this could be implemented using the 2-level ABI.
>
> Probably the implementation does not need to bother 2-level ABI.
>
>     With the FIFO ABI, queues cannot move between VCPUs without some
>     additional locking (dequeuing an event is only safe with a single
>     consumer) but it may be possible (when an event is set pending) for Xen
>     to pick a queue from a set of queues, instead of always using the same
>     queue.
>
>     I don't think this would result in balanced I/O between VCPUs, but the
>     opposite -- events would crowd onto the few VCPUs that are currently
>     running.
>
> I think it is the hypervisor who plays the role of deciding which vCPU
> should
> be kicked to serve I/O. Different routing policies results in different
> results.
> Since all vCPUs are symmetrically scheduled, the events can therefore be
> evenly distributed onto them. At one moment, vCPUx is running, while at
> another moment, vCPUy is running. So, the events will not always crowd to

So you will end up delivering one event to only one vCPU, you are not
going to deliver the event to all vCPUs in a domain?

If that's the case, I'm not sure there's anyway you can assure that it's
going to be faster than what we currently do, for example if the online
vCPU you are delivering the event is scheduled out before actually
processing the event it might actually be worse than what we currently do.

> Currently, all I/O events are bound to vCPU0, which is just like what
> you said:
> events would crowd onto that vCPU. As a result, vCPU0 consumes much more
> CPU cycles than other ones, leading to unfairness. If some workload can be
> dynamically migrated to other vCPUs, I believe more or less we can get
> some benefit.

Are you sure about this? I'm not that familiar with the Linux event
code, but at least on FreeBSD all interrupts get automatically balanced
across all available CPUs by the OS itself.