[Xen-devel] OSSTEST: host-suspend test, and a retrospective on a failure to launch

After struggling (again) for two days to get osstest running in a state that I could test the S3 functionality, I am throwing in the towel on this for now.

Despite Ian's very patient help on IRC - I just do not find this system user friendly to developing new test functionality.
The barrier to entry seems quite high, to contribute here.

Issues I ran into:
Debian mirrors gave a 404 for the arm package apt info.
Scripts assume certain dirs exist
ts-host-install looks for a symlink that does not exist.

Networking setup:
Differences in dhcp setup at my site caused issues that eventually led me to use a static ip address.
Once doing so, some additional parameters were necessary to get the debian installer to use static IP, and have osstest find the proper values in the logs.
This took a while to resolve.

Documentation.
This is the big one... there is no theory of operations anywhere. It all seems to be in Ian J's head, AFAICT.
This makes it very difficult to feel like you are being productive, rather than arbitrarily typing values into a command prompt, and hoping for good results.
There is an awful lot of source here - so a basic understanding seems to be necessary to feel productive.

Attached is a work-in-progress patch that fixes some of the issues mentioned above, and adds a new job that would suspend a machine, in theory.
In practice, you need a 3.10, or later kernel, which I was unable to properly configure with this system.
I'm posting this here, in the hopes that Ian, or someone else on the platform team might be able to pick this up, and develop a useful test to detect regressions in the ACPI S3 functionality.

The config that I ended up getting to work looks like the following (for anyone else who comes looking for this later)

<config file>
NetGateway 10.204.248.1
NetNetmask 255.255.254.0

TestHost poisonivy

HostProp_poisonivy_IpStatic 10.204.248.67
HostProp_poisonivy_Ether 00:13:20:f9:46:d0
HostProp_poisonivy_DIFrontend newt
HostProp_poisonivy_Build_Make_Flags -j4
HostProp_poisonivy_LinuxSerialConsole NONE
HostProp_poisonivy_InstallAppend_Squeeze netcfg/disable_dhcp=true netcfg/get_ipaddress=10.204.248.67 netcfg/get_nameservers=10.204.248.50 netcfg/get_netmask=255.255.254.0 netcfg/get_gateway=10.204.248.1

TftpPath /net/devpxe.lab.local/tftpboot/
TftpPlayDir osstest/
TftpPxeTemplates 01-%etherhyph%

DebianSuite squeeze
DebianArches amd64
DebianMirrorHost ftp.us.debian.org
DebianPreseed= <<'END'
d-i clock-setup/ntp-server string ntp.uk.xensource.com
END

WebspaceLog /var/log/apache2/access.log

AuthorizedKeysAppend= <<'END'
[REMOVED]