Re: [Xen-devel] Windows 8 VGA Passthrough

On Mon, 28 Oct 2013 16:29:49 -0500 John Wargo wrote;

>I dont want primary passthrough, im currently just trying for secondary..
>
>On Monday, October 28, 2013, Gordan Bobic <gordan@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I'd focus more on why exactly do you think you need primary passthrough. Is your requirement

>>for seeing the SeaBIOS POST and  the Windows loading animation strong enough to bother with

>>the amount of extra pain that it is going to require?

And on Sunday, October 27, 2013 10:28 AM John Wargo also wrote;

> I though that secondary passthrough meant that it would pass the virtual adapter in as primary,

>but I could use my GPU that I passed through, so where am I wrong, and how do I do that?

John,

Iâm not totally clear what you are trying to accomplish.  Let me start with some groundwork and you can

help me from there.

You have 2 adapters; Radeon HD 6670 and Radeon HD 7850

Correct me if I am wrong but it sounds like you have booted on the 6670.

This make the 6670 the primary (VGA boot adapter) and the 7850 is the secondary adapter.

6670 = primary

7850 = secondary

There are 4 possible adapter configurations for DomU;

-        Pass through primary as primary (6670 is primary in DomU)

-        Pass through primary as secondary (6670 is secondary in DomU, Cirrus emulated is primary)

-        Pass through secondary as primary (7850 is primary in DomU)

-        Pass through secondary as secondary (7850 is secondary in DomU, Cirrus emulated is primary)

You said you wanted Dom0 = 6670 and DomU = 7850.

Looking at the list above, there are two possible configurations for the 7850 in DomU;  7850 as primary or

7850 as secondary.

If you set âgfx_passthru=1â in your .cfg file for DomU you will pass the 7850 through as a primary.  This means

that the DomU will use the 7850 as a boot VGA adapter.  Your desktop will be accelerated using the 7850.

If you set âgfx_passthru=0â in your .cfg file for DomU you will pass the 7850 through as a secondary.  This means

that the DomU will use the Cirrus emulated VGA VBios as the boot device.  Your desktop will use the emulated

adapter and the 7850 will be a secondary (extended) adapter.

So, the question is; what are you trying to accomplish?

Thanks,

Kelly