Re: [Xen-devel] EFI and multiboot2 devlopment work for Xen

Mail is big, I think I got your essential points but I didn't read it whole.
On 21.10.2013 14:57, Daniel Kiper wrote:
> Hi,
>
> During work on multiboot2 protocol support for Xen it was discovered
> that memory map passed via relevant tag could not represent wide range
> of memory types available on EFI platforms. Additionally, GRUB2
> implementation calls ExitBootServices() on them just before jumping
> into loaded image. In this situation loaded system could not clearly
> identify reserved memory regions, EFI runtime services regions and others.

Will a multiboot2 tag with whole EFI memory map solve your problem?
> Additionally, it should be mentioned that there is no possibility or it could
> be very difficult to implement secure boot on EFI platforms using GRUB2 as
> boot
> loader because, as it was mentioned earlier, it calls ExitBootServices().

GRUB has generic support for signing kernels/modules/whatsoever using
GnuPG signatures. You'd just have to ship xen.sig and kernel.sig. This
method doesn't have any controversy associated with EFI stuff but at
this particular case does exactly the same thing: verify signature.
multiboot2 is mainly memory structure specification so probably how the
files are checked is outside of its scope. But it's possible to add
specification on how to embed signatures in kernel.