Re: [Xen-devel] Xen VGA Passthrough - GTX 680 successfully ïhard-moded to GRID K2

  • To: Gordan Bobic <gordan@xxxxxxxxxx>, Pasi KÃrkkÃinen <pasik@xxxxxx>
  • From: David TECHER <davidtecher@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2013 22:47:36 +0100 (BST)
  • Cc: "xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 24 Sep 2013 21:48:05 +0000

Trying to resend this mail!

TO PASI

Xen 4.3.0 is used without any patch.

For both GTX680/GRIDK2 and GTX480/Quadro6000
=======================================

- VM = Linux 32/64: I can set RAM > 3GB. Playing games, watchings videos etc...All is fine!

- VM = Win 7 64: I can set RAM > 3GB. Playign games, watchings videos etc...All is fine!

- VM = Win XP 64: if I   set RAM > 3GB then the VM get slower. VM gets slower once NVIDIA driver is installed and that I restarted thsi VM :(. I tried a couple of things but unfortunately I was not to fix it. Setting RAM <= 3GB for Win XP 64 I had a nice VM to play games, watch videos etc... XP 64 is a bit pain!

GTX480/Quadro 6000:
=================
As Gordan said it is not doable to restart the domU (well known issue!). But the soft-moded card could be interesting for playing games . I test Gordan's method on two differents cards and it works pretty well!

If restarting dom0 is not a problem then here is a (not-updated) link

http://www.davidgis.fr/blog/index.php?2013/09/18/969-xen-430-vga-passthrough-gtx-480-soft-moded-to-quadro-6000

GTX680/GRIDK2: Gigabyte GV N680OC-2GD
====================================
With GTX680 hard-moded I "tried" GRIDK2 -- not K5000 --.

If you have and_only_if you have  a Gigabyte GV N680OC-2GD

there are two SMD resistors to remove as explained by reading two messages

http://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/hacking-nvidia-cards-into-their-professional-counterparts/msg207550/#msg207550
http://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/hacking-nvidia-cards-into-their-professional-counterparts/msg207795/#msg207795

Just take of  where resistors are located  in the image below (I am not the author of this image!)

http://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/hacking-nvidia-cards-into-their-professional-counterparts/?action="">

Removing SMD resistors could be done without any soldering iron :). Those components are the easiest to remove. It could be done using tweezers and a fire source.

I did it using a knife and a candle (old school).

For K5000 a soldering iron is required! (not tested!)

=========================================================================================================================

TO GORDAN

GTX 680/GRIDK2: DL-DVI/DP/SL-DVI
================================

I don't really if the following test will reply to your question but here are the connectors I tested on my card

http://www.davidgis.fr/download/GTX680_Outputs.jpg

3 Connectors have been tested. I will try here to share a complete/idiot test  I did. Here is a minor issue I found

Output A=>  DVI-I Connector
The dom0 has just started. There are two VMs (one XP 64 and one Win 7 64)
Start XP 64...OK--> Screen works!
Stop XP 64...OK--> Screen works!
Start XP 64...OK--> Screen works!
Restart XP 64...OK--> Screen works!
Stop XP 64...OK--> Screen works!
Start Win7 64 ...OK--> Screen works!
Stop Win 64...OK--> Screen works!
Start XP 64...KO ---> Black screen!!!
xl destroy for this VM. And VM Win 7 64 can start properly...Screen works

Output B => DVI Connector
-------------------------------------
The dom0 has just started. There are two VMs (one XP 64 and one Win 7 64)
Start XP 64...OK --> Screen works!
Stop XP 64...OK--> Screen works!
Start XP 64...OK--> Screen works!
Restart XP 64...OK--> Screen works!
Stop XP 64...OK--> Screen works!
Start Win7 64 ...OK--> Screen works!
Stop Win7 64...OK--> Screen works!
Start XP 64...KO ---> Black screen!!!
xl destroy for this VM. And Win 7 64 can start properly...Screen works

Output C ==> mini HDMI
--------------------------------
The dom0 has just started. There are two VMs (one XP 64 and one Win 7 64)
Start XP 64...OK--> Screen works!
Stop XP 64...OK--> Screen works!
Start XP 64...OK--> Screen works!
Restart XP 64...OK--> Screen works!
Stop XP 64...OK--> Screen works!
Start Win7 64 ...OK--> Screen works!
Stop Win7 64...OK--> Screen works!
Start XP 64...KO --> Black Screen.
xl destroy for this VM. And Win 7 64 can start properly...Screen works

Conclusion: whatever the connector is it seems doable to restart XP 64 ( no switch to Win 7 64!)

For GTX480/Quadro 6000
The latest VMs I set up were a VM Win 7 64 and a VM Win XP 64. ( = 2 VMs)

- gfx_passthru=0 while setting up the VM -- before installing NVIDIA drivers. While VMs were setting up I used (native) VNC connection. (vnc=1)

- gfx_passthru=1 once NVIDIA driver was installed.

No patch was used!