Re: [Xen-devel] Xen, using PC processor

[conversation moved to the xen-users mailing list, as that is where it
 belongs. In this message, xen-devel is in Bcc]

On gio, 2013-09-12 at 08:50 +0400, ÐÐÑÑÑÐÐ ÐÐÐÐ wrote:
> Hello. Please, Can yuo help me.

Hello,

> If we have PC for example Core 2 duo(one processor with two core). Could i
> make guest OS on Xen(example Centos) who's using only one core from this
> processor?

I'm not 100% sure I understand what you mean. If you are asking whether
you can get Xen running on a dual core machine and then have a guest
with just one virtual cpu, the answer is yes.

If you (also) mean that you want the one vcpu of such guest to be the
only thing that runs on one of the physical cores, the answer is again
yes.

From this respect, Xen sees a core, or even a hypertrhead, as a
processor, not much differently than a single core non-hyperthreaded
cpu, so you can "assign" stuff to those pretty much in he way you
prefer. Then there are differences, when it comes to the internal
implementation and behavior of the Xen scheduler, but that's a different
story.

In order to make the above happen, you should look at how vcpu to (p)cpu
pinning works.

This wiki page, for instance, contains some info about that.

http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Tuning_Xen_for_Performance

If it was something else than the above you were after, I'm afraid you
have to try stating it a little more clear.

Regards,
Dario