Re: [Xen-devel] Multi-bridged PCIe devices (Was: Re: iommuu/vt-d issues with LSI MegaSAS (PERC5i))

On Wed, 11 Sep 2013 12:57:10 +0100, "Jan Beulich" <JBeulich@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 11.09.13 at 13:44, Gordan Bobic <gordan@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
This got me thinking - if the problem is broken IOMMU implementation,
 is the IOMMU _actually_ required for PCI passthrough to HVM
 guests if all the memory holes and BARs are made exactly the same
 in dom0 and domU? If vBAR=pBAR, then surely there is no memory
 range remapping to be done anyway - which means that there
 is no need for the strict IOMMU requirements (over and above
 the requirements and caveats of PV domUs).

But with this you ignore the need to handle device bus mastering
activities. In order to work without IOMMU, the guest's memory
addresses would also require guest-physical = machine-physical.

Hmm... that would be harder to achieve, mainly due to legacy
stuff like base memory. But if (fingers crossed) DMA doesn't
occur below 1MB, maybe the map can be bodged to emulate the
addresses below 1MB, carve out as small a chunk of 32-bit
memory as we can get away with for each guest, and map the
rest with vmem=pmem in 64-bit memory range. But you are
right - that gets way more complicated than I originally
envisaged - all for the sake of supporting legacy
and Steam boot-loader systems. :(

Gordan