Re: [Xen-devel] Booting NetBSD in pygrub

On 09/09/13 14:35, Ian Campbell wrote:
On Sat, 2013-09-07 at 11:56 +0000, M. Boerschig wrote:
I think this implies a Linux dom0?

Yes, of course. I didn't even get a recent xen (> 4.2) to compile on my NetBSD machine.

I imagine this is equally broken with a Linux domU, because it doesn't
seem likely to be guest specific, given that it is mostly before the
guest runs...

An Ubuntu domU works on this same machine, so I think this problem is limited to my use case (or a similar one, like solaris)

This stuff ha been a bit fragile in the past, I wouldn't be too
surprised if it had regressed, especially since it isn't especially
amenable to automated testing.

What is supposed to happen is that pygrub gets launched attached to a
pty, and that ptr gets written to xenstore such that the xenconsole
client connects to it and presents the pygrub output to the user as if
it were the guest console, xl acts as a pump copying data back and forth
between the console pty and pygrubs pty (since both console and pygrub
expect to be a slave). Much of this code is in libxl_bootloader.c.

Once pygrub exits this pty disappears and the console client should
reattach to the real guest console pty, which is provided by
xenconsoled.

It sounds like that first connection is not going to the right place or
is otherwise broken.

Are you seeing the pygrub menu? DO you expect to? Perhaps the automatic
exit of the first session is not working?

No, and I didn't expect a menu to appear.
I assumed a menu is only displayed if the run_grub()-method succeeds in finding a valid GRUB menu.lst/config on the disk. I used the sniff_solaris() code as a guideline: if I understand the code correctly it just returns a configuration dictionary without displaying anything.

The last relevant looking commit to libxl_bootloader.c was
7253e0fd1aeb3ae7d4714bcc1d86b846b3331995 which looks like the sort of
thing which might accidentally introduce such behaviour.

Thanks for the pointer, I'll investigate if pygrub's exit is properly handled later this week.

Any help appreciated.

[1] http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-xen/2013/09/02/msg008020.html