Re: [Xen-devel] clarification regarding paravirtualized kernel for dom0

On Mon, 2013-09-09 at 01:08 +0200, Aastha Mehta wrote:

Please don't top post.

> Thank you very much for the clarification. This is good news then.
> Please also tell, what the xen_caps indicate as well. And, I still
> have some confusion regarding the different virtualization modes. When
> we say that we have, for example, a PV on HVM system, does the
> capability of hypervisor still remain HVM?

PV and HVM (and PVH) are properties of the guest, not the hypervisor.

The hypervisors ability to support HVM guests is predicated on the
presence of the necessary hardware virtualisation features.

> The new virtualization mode available in xen-4.3 onwards - PV on H -
> does this only reflect how the guest OS may interact with dom0 and
> hypervisor? What do these things mean in the context of dom0?

PVH Is a new type of guest. Dom0 will be able to use PVH mode. Currently
it can  only be PV, not HVM.

These modes have nothing to do with how a guest OS interacts with dom0.

You might find it useful to have a look through some pof the wiki docs
which go into the types of domain, perhaps starting from
http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Xen_Overview .

http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Virtualization_Spectrum too