Re: [Xen-devel] Questions about hvm domU default devices with upstream qemu

On Thu, 5 Sep 2013, Fabio Fantoni wrote:
> > > About qemu default empty and unusable floppy and cdrom I have already
> > > reply at
> > > start of year that qemu traditional does not have them.
> > > The tests were with xl only if I remember good, now I checked also on old
> > > production server with xend and qemu traditional. I confirm that hvm domUs
> > > is
> > > without empty floppy and cdrom also in that case.
> > >
> > > cd-insert works (tested with xl and upstream qemu). cd-insert does not
> > > works
> > > only with qemu default empty cdrom because is undefined on xen side.
> > So HVM domUs do NOT have a cdrom drive by default with qemu-traditional.
>
> Exact.
>

> > Do they have an empty cdrom drive by default with qemu-xen?
>
> Yes
>

> > Is the lack of a cdrom drive the reason why cd-insert doesn't work by
> > default (unless you specify an empty cdrom drive in the VM config file)?
>
> Yes.
> xl cd-insert command works with cdrom devices already present on domU defined
> on xl file configuration.
> The cdrom can be empty or not, the only exception is the empty cdrom added
> default by qemu that is not usable with cd-insert because not defined on xl
> file configuration.

I see. That should be fixed, by either removing the empty cdrom drive or
making it work properly with xl cd-insert.
I don't have a strong opinion on this. Given that qemu-traditional
doesn't have a cdrom drive by default, it might make sense to do the
same on qemu-xen.