Re: [Xen-devel] Xen, MCFG acpi table and E820 address map

-----Original Message-----
From: Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk [mailto:konrad.wilk@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, September 04, 2013 8:01 AM
To: Jan Beulich
Cc: Santosh Jodh; David Vrabel; xen-devel; Boris Ostrovsky
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Xen, MCFG acpi table and E820 address map

On Wed, Sep 04, 2013 at 10:16:26AM +0100, Jan Beulich wrote:
> > Xen will use information from MCFG acpi table to access PCIe
> > extended configuration space. However, Xen validates MCFG table by
> > making sure that the addresses specified in the MCFG table is
> > correctly marked as reserved in the E820 address map. If it is not,
> > the MCFG table is ignored - thereby preventing Xen from accessing PCIe
> > extended configuration space.
> >
> > I recently came across a workstation class system that supports
> > VT-d. This system BIOS has a valid MCFG table. The BIOS does NOT
> > report the MCFG addresses as reserved in the E820 address map.
> > However, the addresses ARE claimed as reserved via the ACPI
> > motherboard resource devnode (PNP0C01) mechanism.

Could you tell me what machine this is? It would be good to know to develop a
patch against it.
[Santosh Jodh] Unfortunately, this is a new platform I cannot disclose much
about. However, it seems like this issue has been seen on the following: Asus
S5A laptop, Asus P5RD1-VM. There are few IBM systems as well -
http://www-947.ibm.com/support/entry/portal/docdisplay?lndocid=MIGR-5080398

I should be able to test the patch and provide feedback on this particular
system.