Re: [Xen-devel] xend deprecation

On Tue, 2013-09-03 at 23:06 -0700, Matt Wilson wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 03, 2013 at 09:03:46AM +0100, Ian Campbell wrote:
> > On Mon, 2013-09-02 at 13:32 -0700, Matt Wilson wrote:
> > > Live migration between a system running xend to a system that doesn't
> > > support xend would be a nice-to-have. That probably means some support
> > > for SXP parsing either in libxl or in some compatibility tool.
> >
> > This already works by using xl on the source side, e.g. a guest started
> > with xend on 4.1 can be migrated with 4.1's xl to 4.2.
> >
> > http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2012-08/msg02191.html
>
> xl doesn't run everywhere that we need it to.

Details please, or we aren't going to be able to even think about how to
solve this for you.

BTW You can also do a xend migration to e.g. 4.2 (using the xend whichis
in 4.2) and the use 4.2's xl to do a localhost migrate or a second
remote migrate to another 4.2 system.

xend's deprecation has been on the cards, and widely known, for several
releases now. It is time to quit stalling and start moving. I intend to
post a patch deleting it as soon as 4.4 is out the door.

Of course you are also free to pick up xend maintenance if you really
want to keep it alive. We could for example move it out of tree. And by
"We" I mean "You and those others who are interested in continuing with
xend".