Re: [Xen-devel] Is fallback vhost_net to qemu for live migrate availableï

On Tue, Sep 03, 2013 at 09:28:11AM +0800, Qin Chuanyu wrote:
> On 2013/9/2 15:57, Wei Liu wrote:

> >>Yes, I add a kernel module which persist virtio-net pio_addr and
> >>msix address as what kvm module did. Guest wake up vhost thread by
> >>adding a hook func in evtchn_interrupt.

> >>There is nothing changed in front end driver. Currently I use
> >>alloc_vm_area to get address spaceï and map the domain's memory as
> >>what what qemu did.
> >>

> >You mean you're using xc_map_foreign_range and friends in the backend to
> >map guest memory? That's not very desirable as it violates Xen's
> >security model. It would not be too hard to pass grant references
> >instead of guest physical memory address IMHO.
> >
> In fact, I did what virtio-net have done in Qemu. I think security
> is a pseudo question because Dom0 is under control.

Consider that you might have driver domains. Not every domain is under
control or trusted. Also consider that security model like XSM can be
used to audit operations to enhance security so your foreign mapping
approach might not always work.

In short term foreign mapping can save you some time implementing the
prototype. In long term using grant table is the proper way to go. And
IMHO the benifit outweights the cost.

Wei.