Re: [Xen-devel] [RFC 01/24] xen/char: dt-uart: Allow the user to give a path to the node

On 08/16/2013 10:25 PM, Andre Przywara wrote:
> On 08/16/2013 11:05 PM, Julien Grall wrote:
>> On some board, there is no alias to the UART. To avoid modification in
>> the device tree, dt-uart should also search device by path.
>
> Funny, it wrote almost the same patch two days ago (including the
> variable renaming, minus the "/" check). Thanks for saving me the
> cleanup and send-out ;-)
> It is really useful for Midway!
>
>> To distinguish an alias from a path, dt-uart will check the first
>> character.
>> If it's a / then it's path, otherwise it's an alias.
>
> Is that really needed? In my patch I just try it as an alias first, if
> there is no match (dev == NULL), I try the full path.
> Are there any ambiguities expected between an alias and a full path?

Following the ePAPR documentation (section 2.2.4), the name property
can't contain '/' in the name.

I choose this solution, because I want to avoid to call the 2 functions
if it's possible. It's a waste of time to call both if we know that the
path always start with a '/' and alias not.

Cheers,

--
Julien Grall