Re: [Xen-devel] stdbool.h -nostdinc XSA-55 trouble

(adding Ian J who did most of XSA-55)
On Thu, 2013-08-08 at 16:47 +0100, Patrick Welche wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 08, 2013 at 04:30:06PM +0100, Jan Beulich wrote:
> > No, according to my checking, the --prefix configure option
> > listed does not correlate with the directory where the header
> > is found.
>
> Yes - I think our emails crossed...
>
> The underlying problem is:
>
> Linux:   /usr/lib/gcc/i?86-linux-gnu/n.m/include/stdbool.h
> NetBSD:  /usr/include/stdbool.h

The hypervisor side, which is where --nostdinc is used, has it's own
bool_t in asm/types.h. Perhaps libelf (which is supposed to compile for
both user and hypervisor space) should be using
#ifdef __XEN__
#include <asm/types.h>
#else
#include <stdbool.h>
#endif

?

I'd be a bit concerned about the fact that Xen's bool_t is a typedef for
char, as opposed to the compilers typedef to _Bool which has special
meaning. It may not matter in practice but might the fact that _Bool
canonicalises to 0 or 1 vs. 0 or !0 cause something subtle?

ian.