Re: [Xen-devel] [QUERY] lguest64

> >> read_msr/write_msr in this one make all msr accesses safe. IIRC there
> >> are MSRs that Linux uses without checking cpuid bits.
> >> IA32_PERF_CAPABILITIES for instance is used without checking PDCM bit.
> >
> > Right, those are needed as well. Completly forgot about them.
>
> CPUID is not too bad.  RDMSR/WRMSR is actually worse since there are
> some MSRs which are performance-critical.  The really messy pvops are
> the memory-related ones, as they don't match the hardware behavior.

Would you have a by any chance a nice test-case to demonstrate the
rdmsr/wrmsr paths which performance-critical under baremetal?

> Similarly, beyond pvops, what new assumptions does this code add to the
> code base?

We have not yet narrowed down on how to "negotiate" the GDT values - as
the VMX code in the hypervisor has setup those before it loads the kernel.
I think Mukesh was thinking to extend the .Xen.note to enumerate some of the
ones that are needed and somehow the hypervisor slurps them in.