Re: [Xen-devel] The problem of make xen

On Fri, 2013-06-28 at 00:27 -0700, Xinxin Jin wrote:
> Hi all,
>

> Maybe it is not a stupid question, but this problem indeed bugs me
> very much ... When I made some changes on the source file and then run
> "make & make install" under xen directory, after rebooting machine,
> many times I found the loaded Xen kernel was still the old one (before
> change) !! Does anyone encounter the same problem with me ? It is
> really very weird and annoying......

I PXE boot 99% of the time, so personally I never see anything of this
sort, but...

Assuming that the new Xen isn't being installed with a new file name and
that you are sure you are picking the newest one from the menu the other
way I've heard of this happening is using an ext3 /boot but a bootloader
which only speaks ext2 -- this means that the bootloader won't see
things which are still in the journal and not committed, which depending
on how you are shutting down the system might include the updated Xen
binary. I'd expect most distros to sync things upon clean shutdown
though and in any case any halfway modern distro should have a grub
which speaks ext3 or even ext4 adequately, so maybe this isn't the issue
you are seeing.