Re: [Xen-devel] booting from HVM (?pv?)

On Mon, Jun 24, 2013 at 9:21 PM, AL13N <alien@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm the Mageia XEN packager and during QA, we stumbled into a problem.
>
> in fact, we wanted to test Mageia 3 installation on a HVM.
>
> so, we had a sparse image and a iso file:
>
> [ 'file:/opt/testhvm.img,sda,w', 'file:/opt/mageialive.iso,hdb:cdrom,r' ]
>
> the live booted, and was able to install to disk, but it never seemed to boot
> after the install... (for some reason)
>
> in the end, this "worked" when we changed to:
>
> [ 'file:/opt/testhvm.img,xvda,w', 'file:/opt/testhvm.img,sda,w' ]
>
> apparently 'xvda' to get grub to boot the kernel; and 'sda' so that it could
> start...

My HVM Linux config files have 'hda' instead of 'sda' -- can you try
that instead?

Normally what happens is that qemu begins by exposing the hda device
to the guest, to boot via grub; but when the Xen PV drivers in the
Linux kernel come up, they write to a magic port which causes the
physical hda device to disappear.  I *think* then that the Xen PV
drivers actually take over that major/minor, so that further reads and
writes to the hda go through the PV protocol instead.

All of this might get mixed up if you're using sda instead.

 -George