Re: [Xen-devel] [Fedora-xen] Virt-manager does not connect to libvirt/Xen? Xen 4.1.5 installed from source on Fedora 17.

On mar, 2013-06-18 at 18:05 -0500, ranjith krishnan wrote:
> Hello,

Hi again Ranjith,

> I posted this yesterday to the Xen-devel list, posting it additionally
> to the fedoraproject list too.
> My problem is Virt-manager is unable to connect to the hypervisor
> (explained below). However, xm list, xm info work fine.

Yes, I saw your other e-mail too, but I'm afraid I can't help much as I
always have:
 - used xl only, when building Xen from sources,
 - used Fedora Xen packages only, when using libvirt stuff

:-(

> So I followed the
> guide http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Xen_4.2_Build_From_Source_On_RHEL_CentOS_Fedora
> and built/installed Xen from source, using grub2-mkconfig to rebuild
> grub and was able to reboot
> Dom0 with Xen successfully.

Ok.

> Then I installed packages for virt-manager.
> # yum install libvirt-daemon-xen python-virtinst
> libvirt-daemon-config-network libvirt-daemon-driver-network
> virt-manager virt-viewer
> Everything got installed except for one package. Got an error message
> "No package libvirt-daemon-driver-network available."

On my Fedora 18, I get this:

$ yum search libvirt-daemon-driver-network
libvirt-daemon-driver-network.x86_64 : Network driver plugin for the libvirtd
daemon

$ rpm -qa | grep libvirt-daemon-driver-network
libvirt-daemon-driver-network-1.0.6-3.fc18.x86_64

Anyway, I do not think this could be the cause of your issue.

> Now when I start virt-manager, it is unable to connect to Xen and
> fails with the following error.
> # virt-manager
>    Unable to connect to libvirt.
>

>   unable to connect to 'localhost:8000': Connection refused
>

>   Verify that:
>    - A Xen host kernel was booted
>    - The Xen service has been started
>

>   Libvirt URI is: xen:///

I see... Just shooting in the dark here, and forgive me if it's a stupid
question, but is libvirtd running?

> # xm list and # xm info work fine. This means xend is running right ?

Indeed. You can double check that with something like:

$ ps aux | grep xend

or:

# service xend status

Although, I'm not sure the latter will work, considering you're not
using any Fedora RPM/SRPM...

> So in summary,
> Built and installed from source Xen 4.1.5, on Fedora 17.
> Can boot into Xen Dom0, xm works, xend running, But virt-manager
> unable to connect to Xen!

As I said, I'm really short in ideas/experience, sorry. Something I
would probably try is:
 - uninstalling your built version of Xen
 - installing Fedora 17's Xen packages
 - try libvirt with them

That would at least tell us more about where --if not what-- the issue
could be.

Regards,
Dario