Re: [Xen-devel] Xen 4.3 development update

On 17/06/13 13:35, Fabio Fantoni wrote:
Il 17/06/2013 12:58, George Dunlap ha scritto:
There are basically two issues we're waiting to sort out (see below
for more info):
  * cpu hotplug in qemu-upsream
  * The MMIO hole issue

Anthony has patches for cpu hot-plug, and we have plans for how to
work around the MMIO hole issue, so we're getting really close.

Also note that we have slipped the release date a week, to the 26th,
to make sure we have enough time to catch any potential bugs in the
recent check-ins.

This information will be mirrored on the Xen 4.3 Roadmap wiki page:
  http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Xen_Roadmap/4.3

The key goals we're focusing on now, in order, are as follows:
  1. Have a bug-free 4.3 release
  2. Have an awesome 4.3 release
  3. Have a 4.3 release that happens on schedule (ready by June 15th)

The most important thing in making a case is to answer the question,
"If there are bugs in this patch, will they be discovered before the
June 17th release?"  The second most important thing is to consider the
cost/benefit analysis of bugs that are found: what is the risk of
introducing a bug which will delay the release, vs the benefit it will
have in making the release better?

= Timeline =

We are planning on a 9-month release cycle.  Based on that, below are
our estimated dates:
* Feature freeze: 25 March 2013
* Code freezing point: 15 April 2013
* First RC: 6 May 2013 <== WE ARE HERE
* Release: 26 June 2013

The RCs and release will of course depend on stability and bugs, and
will therefore be fairly unpredictable.  Each new feature will be
considered on a case-by-case basis.

The June 17th release is both an estimate and a goal.  At this point,
Xen 4.3 can be released whenever it's actually ready.  In fact, the
sooner we release, the sooner we can open the tree up for new
development and get on to 4.4 -- so keep fixing those bugs!

Last updated: 17 June 2013

== Completed ==

* Default to QEMU upstream (partial)
  - pci pass-thru (external)
  - enable dirtybit tracking during migration (external)

  - xl cd-{insert,eject}

Tested and working. No more bugs found.

* openvswitch toostack integration
   To label "tech-preview" unless we get good testing (>10 individuals)

Tested and working. It also works with hvm domUs that didn't work on initial version of vif script. No bugs found for now.

Great, thanks for testing.

 -George