Re: [Xen-devel] [Hackathon Minutes] Xen 4.4 Planning

On 14/06/13 11:45, Jan Beulich wrote:
On 14.06.13 at 11:59, Lars Kurth <lars.kurth.xen@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I also wanted to add to the point that Alex has made on serious bugs in xen
vs. kvm : this gets raised regularly by Xen users when I attend
conferences. And I also heard a few times now that we appear to focus more
on sexy features rather than the basics. This is relatively new though: the
first time I noticed was towards the end of last year. Which does not mean
that this is new: it may just mean that top issues/concerns that were
frequently raised before (mainly trust in the future of the project) have
disappeared.
I'd really like to see examples of this - there ought to be quite a
few according to what you write, yet I don't seem to recall any
that got plainly ignored. Of course there are always bugs which
take longer than others to figure out and fix.

Well one example was that from the beginning of time until the 4.3 release, you could only specify a single USB device in the config file for an HVM domain.

Another one is the qemu one we're discussing right now -- it was reported back in February I think, but it's only recently actually getting the attention that it needs to be sorted out. The root cause was known by March, at which point there would have been plenty of time for a "proper fix".

And there's random things like cd-eject or cd-insert not working in certain circumstances (namely, when blktap was available). It's something basic, but something we don't really use very much, and never got flagged up. So it was broken in the 4.2 release.

I don't really know if this is the kind of thing that users are talking about, but if I used a release of a (supposedly) mature product, and something as basic as "insert a CD" crashed, I wouldn't be very impressed.

 -George