Re: [Xen-devel] Xen 4.1 compile from source and install on Fedora 17

On Wed, Jun 12, 2013 at 5:35 AM, Dario Faggioli
<dario.faggioli@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On mer, 2013-06-12 at 05:02 -0400, Gizmo Chicken wrote:
>> Dario,
>>
>> When you say that using virt-manager is entirely possible with Xen 4.2
>> on Fedora 18, with which toolstack, XL or XM, do you mean?
>>
> Both, actually. libxl driver is definitely less mature, and might still
> miss some features, but the basic create-pause-resume-shutdown-destroy
> workload works really well for me.
>
>> I ask because, in my experience with Ubuntu, virt-manager works with
>> the XM toolstack, but NOT with the XL toolstack, under Xen 4.2 on
>> Ubuntu 13.04 and 13.10.  See
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/libvirt/+bug/1180281
>>
> Yeah, I think I remember your bugreport from an e-mail on xen-users. I
> don't know what to say because I know nothing about libvirt on
> Debian/Ubuntu, but I guess that depends on the very specific version of
> libvirt that they ship.

Not sure if the comment is correct, but based on Comment #9 to my bug
report, Debian/Ubuntu seems to package Xen in such a way that certain
components (such as libxenlight.so) are installed differently compared
to other distros.  See Comment #9 at
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/libvirt/+bug/1180281

> For me, on Fedora 18 (and ISTR even on Fedora 17, but perhaps I was
> using the virt-preview repository), all I have to do is to make sure
> xend runs, if I want libvirt (so both virt-manager and virt-install) to
> use xend. To stop it (and disable for starting automatically at boot
> time), if I want them to use libxl.
>
>> And although I haven't spent as much time testing it, in my
>> experience, virt-manager doesn't work with the XL toolstack under Xen
>> 4.2 on Fedora 19 beta.  I haven't tested virt-manager with Fedora 18.
>>
> What do you mean with "doesn't work" ?

I haven't spent much time with virt-manager on Fedora 19 beta, so I
can't provide details.  But if I recall correctly, I also got
something like "Unable to connect to libvirt" when attempting to use
virt-manager with Xen and the XL toolstack.  XL was definitely
running, and near as I could tell, XM/xend was not running.  I didn't
try virt-manager with the XM toolstack.

GizmoChicken