Re: [Xen-devel] S3 is broken again in xen-unstable

>>> I don't have time to bisect this, currently - but just thought I'd let
>>> the list know that, while xen-4.2 works (with the recent S3 changes
>>> I've submitted) - 4.3 is broken again.
>>>
>>> I'm not sure if it is the hypervisor, or the kernel, since I upgraded
>>> both in my "unstable" build environment.
>>>
>>> Since this is something that XenClient really relies on working, it
>>> has been a pain point with every upgrade of Xen for us.
>>
>> Perhaps one point here also is that you upgrade in too big steps?
>>
>> More regular participation in development and patch review
>> would very likely also help keeping down the number of
>> regressions here.
>
> Perhaps, but given the incredible amounts of traffic on the list, how
> is he supposed to know which patches might break suspend or not?  And
> even if he did, he would have to take the time to understand every
> single hypervisor patch and predict how it would act on suspend, which
> is just not reasonable.  Remember we're on the other side of this
> equation wrt Linux -- it's all to easy for someone to move something
> apparently innocuous around and have it break dom0 pvops in a way
> that's not noticed until 6 months later.  That's why we do regular
> testing of Linus' tree, as well as Ingo's x86 tree.
>
> The right thing to do is to put at least a basic suspend test into the
> testing push-gate, so that when someone submits a change that breaks
> suspend, *they* are the ones that have to figure out what went wrong
> and fix it.

I was in no way suggesting this to be a bad idea. What I was
trying to point out is that testing a certain feature only every
couple of major releases is very likely to not nearly help as much
as being involved regularly. And no, I also didn't mean to suggest
for _anyone_ to review each and every individual patch. But
looking at some key ones before they go in would certainly help.

Jan