Re: [Xen-devel] Help to boot domU with customized kernel

On Sat, 2013-04-27 at 16:16 +0100, Anand Mundada wrote:
> Hi All,

This appears to be a user and not development question, xen-users@ is
the appropriate list for such queries. Redirecting (-devel to bcc).

> I have installed Dom0 and domU following instructions given on Ubuntu
> Wiki
> I want to boot domU with customized kernel.

Please give details, version, .config etc. Guest cfg would be useful
also. What version of Xen are you running?

http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Reporting_Bugs_against_Xen contains a checklist
of information which may be useful to include in a bug report.

> My machine don't have hardware support I tried different things but
> it's not working.
>

> Method 1:
> In guest, I have compiled Para-Virtualized kernel that have created
> boot images in /boot of domU.
> After reboot I am not able to boot and I am getting error as
> Error: Boot loader didn't return any data

Did you update your bootloader configuration within the guest?

> Method II:
>

> In dom0, I have compiled Para-Virtualized kernel and I have used
> domU.cfg file where
> kernel= [New compiled vmlinuz]
> ramdisk = [New compiled initrd  image]

How did you create this ramdisk?

> then I tried to create new VM using 'xm create' command.
> Here I am getting following error
>

> "mount: mounting /sys on /root/sys failed: No such file or directory
> mount: mounting /proc on /root/proc failed: No such file or directory
> Target filesystem doesn't have /sbin/init.
> No init found. Try passing init= bootarg. "

This indicates that your initrd is not finding the root filesystem. DO
you build in the Xen modules or does your initrd contain the appropriate
modules?