Re: [Xen-devel] S3 is broken again in xen-unstable

  • To: Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik@xxxxxx>
  • From: Ben Guthro <ben@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2013 19:41:07 -0400
  • Cc: xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 26 Apr 2013 23:41:39 +0000

On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 4:47 PM, Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik@xxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 01:02:35PM -0400, Ben Guthro wrote:
>> On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 8:00 AM, Ben Guthro <ben@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> > I don't have time to bisect this, currently - but just thought I'd let
>> > the list know that, while xen-4.2 works (with the recent S3 changes
>> > I've submitted) - 4.3 is broken again.
>> >
>> > I'm not sure if it is the hypervisor, or the kernel, since I upgraded
>> > both in my "unstable" build environment.
>> >

>> This appears to have been a transient issue. My xen tree was a few days old
>> updating to the tip seems to have resolved this particular issue.
>>

> Ok, so master (xen-unstable) works OK regarding ACPI S3. Good.
>
> What hypervisor-side patches are still missing from stable-4.2 branch?

The final one that actually makes it work is
http://xenbits.xen.org/gitweb/?p=xen.git;a=commit;h=9aa356bc9f7533c3cb7f02c823f532532876d444
Jan Beulich had already indicated that this would be picked up in the
4.2 release cycle, but it was too late to get it into 4.2.2

Then, also the ns16550 change.
While strictly not necessary to fix S3 in the normal path, it does fix
a bug that can lead to S3 not working if you
   a. have one of these SuperIO controllers on the LPC bus.
   b. have serial enabled.
http://xenbits.xen.org/gitweb/?p=xen.git;a=commit;h=6e96c186d23873597896051b043cfeb119c4a7d5

On the linux side of things, The following are necessary:
One of the acpi-s3.vX branches. I use v9, but v10 is also available. I
don't think one has an advantage over the other.

acpi-s3.v10:
http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/konrad/xen.git/commit/?h=devel/acpi-s3.v10&id=c268cd657314354f910b773a17a9de0299e1cc21
http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/konrad/xen.git/commit/?h=devel/acpi-s3.v10&id=864848221b056aaf25416999c29cb0e14d3c3197
http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/konrad/xen.git/commit/?h=devel/acpi-s3.v10&id=aa7eb7bbb3f2a39435a07c082f99893386ae83ec