Re: [Xen-devel] Bug: Windows 2003 fails to install on xen-unstable tip

At 17:02 +0100 on 25 Apr (1366909369), Jan Beulich wrote:
> > On 23/04/13 11:25, Jan Beulich wrote:
> >> Just to double check - could you comment out entirely the first
> >> (normal code, i.e. not the one marked //todo?) "else if" in
> >> rtc_periodic_interrupt() (including its body of course)? I would
> >> expect this to not make a difference, and if so I don't see how
> >> Windows expects to be woken up again (I would guess that
> >> they internally have some gating logic preventing the normal IRQ8
> >> handling to happen, yet of course we don't know what would
> >> reset that state).
> >
> > In fact, when I comment out that region, then it hangs in the guest BIOS
> > before even attempting to boot the CD.
>
> That's due to a different issue, that I meanwhile found a fix for
> (caused by the general vpt code expecting interrupts to be
> delivered, yet the BIOS doesn't enable the interrupt, and hence
> the RTC periodic timer doesn't get advanced to the next tick,
> and it having an earlier expiration time than the PIT one prevents
> pt_update_irq() to pick that one up for processing).

How inconvenient - I had been solving the same problem today.  Yes, if
rtc_periodic_interrupt() doesn't actually inject an interrupt, the vpt
code needs to know so it can increment the timer.

> With that fixed and the mentioned code block removed, things
> work as I had expected. But the logging that I added in the
> course of all this shows that it really juts happens to work,
> I can't really explain why (other than the myriads of superfluous
> interrupts attempted to be injected into the guest keeping the
> VM alive). In particular, almost none of the injected IRQs
> actually reach their handler (there are only very few REG_C
> reads), but the handler also doesn't do anything really
> interesting (i.e. we don't actually need the handler to execute,
> we just need to keep a flow of interrupts going into the VM).

Really?  Does injecting spurious interrupts work too?  Presumably the
handler does _something_.

> Yet I did verify that the correct values get actually written
> through vmx_inject_extint()/__vmx_inject_exception().
>
> So at this point I'm of the opinion that the RTC changes really
> just exposed a completely different issue, and I'm of the opinion
> that this is what needs fixing, not papering over it by reverting
> the RTC stuff.

On the contrary, I think this shows that the RTC/vpt/guest interactions
are so badly understood as to merit backing the whole lot out for 4.3.
This has been dragging on for weeks now, and AFAICS it's going to need a
serious overhaul, plus someone manually testing all the OSes that are
likely to be affected (i.e. the crufty old ones).

Tim.