Re: [Xen-devel] xl with xenstore stubdom

On 04/22/2013 08:19 AM, Ian Campbell wrote:
On Mon, 2013-04-22 at 13:09 +0100, Andrew Cooper wrote:
On 22/04/13 13:05, steve_1991@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Hi,

I am running xenstore stubdom on my system. When I try to use xl, it gives me
error that xenstore daemon is not running and couldn't stat
/var/run/xenstored.pid. I want to ask does xl work with xenstore stubdom and if
not then which toolstack to use for VM management?

xl unconditionally looks for /var/run/xenstored.pid, even when it
doesn't need it.

Wasn't there a patch at one point to make it look
for /tool/xenstored/domid as an alternative? Can't find it now though...

The domain creation code looks there, but it's rather difficult to
look in xenstore for a path if xenstore isn't running, so that can't
be used to figure out the stubdom is being used.

There was also talk of init-xenstore-domain daemonising and serving as a
log message pump to syslog for the stubdom, in which case its pid would
be somewhat appropriate to store. I think that was only talk though.

Right, init-xenstore-domain just boots the domain and exits. I guess
touching the /var/run/xenstored.pid file might be useful as an addition
to that tool.

Simply touching the file is enough to fool xl into working correctly for
actions not requiring xenstored, but I have no idea how well xl would
cope with xenstored in a different domain.

It should be OK, I'd be interested in hearing if it isn't once this
issue is fixed.

Ian.

It seems to work with no issues on my test systems (whose startup scripts
include a "touch /var/run/xenstored.pid" to work around this).

--
Daniel De Graaf
National Security Agency