Re: [Xen-devel] Xen 4.3 development update CODE FREEZE HAS_BEGUN

On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 1:22 PM, George Dunlap
<George.Dunlap@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> * Default to QEMU upstream
>  > Add "intel-hda" to xmexample file, since it works with 64-bit Win7/8
>  - qemu-based stubdom (Linux or BSD libc)
>    owner: anthony@citrix
>    status: in progress
>    prognosis: ?
>    qemu-upstream needs a more fully-featured libc than exists in
>    mini-os.  Either work on a minimalist linux-based stubdom with
>    glibc, or port one of the BSD libcs to minios.

Anthony, what's the status on this?

At the moment we default to qemu-upstream if the DM is running in
dom0, and to qemu-traditional if we're running in a stubdom.  What
that means is that if someone installs the "normal" way, and then
decides to upgrade to qemu stub domains, then their qemu version will
downgrade.

Just as a data point: I installed Windows XP on qemu-upstream, and
then switched to qemu-default.  XP booted, but a bunch of the devices,
including the VGA and the ethernet, changed and wanted new driver
installed.  But it didn't have an ethernet driver, so it couldn't
download the drivers from the web.  (Presumably if it had had PV tools
installed it wouldn't have been an issue.)

So not terrible, but not great: I would still really like to get this
in if we can.

Thoughts?
 -George