[Xen-devel] LV Stuck Open

  • To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Greg Zapp <greg.zapp@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2013 10:55:56 +1200
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 10 Apr 2013 22:56:25 +0000

We are running Xen with Debian Squeeze and have noticed on about 3-4 occasions int he past few months that a VM require a hard reboot(destroy) would become un-bootable.  I believe we have identified the cause as the logical volume being stuck open.  I'm looking at one right now(the VM has been booted on another hypervisor) and the device mapper open count is 1 for both the main disk and the swap disk.  I can't find it in use anywhere.  It's not mounted, no processes are using it, etc.  This is exactly how LV's in use by VM's appear( open but nothing showing up as using it ).  Has anyone seen this behavior?  The only fix we have currently is to eventually reboot the hypervisor :/

Thanks,
   Greg