Re: [Xen-devel] Hackathon idea: domU return code

On Tue, 2013-04-09 at 11:36 +0100, Guido Trotter wrote:
> Hi,
>
> A big question that we get often asked as Ganeti team is: could you
> report the reason why an instance is down? In particular people would
> love to know whether an instance was shut down by the user from
> inside, crashed (and perhaps why), or was shutdown from the Xen side.
> It would be great if Xen could report this information somehow to a
> monitoring system.

Xen reports this status to the toolstack, the SHUTDOWN_* code in
xen//include/public/sched.h is exposed in the domain info of the domain
before it is destroyed.

> Currently a colleague of mine has found some of this information in
> the Xen logs, and also a patch floating on the list that was never
> merged. Is anybody coming to the Dublin Xen Hackathon in May willing
> to help on this (either mentoring one of us to get the change
> done&merged or doing the change while we implement the ganeti
> reporting side of it)?

I'd be happy to advise on a libxl/xl implementation of some way to
export this info outside the toolstack -- perhaps the most generically
useful way to approach this would be for xl support for calling hook
scripts on various events, not just domain termination.

Ian.