Re: [Xen-devel] Testing xen-arm on Arndale

On Wed, 2013-04-03 at 14:37 +0100, Stefano Stabellini wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Apr 2013, See-Hwan Yoo wrote:
> > Thank you, Stefano:
> > I have checked -vvv and it seems that xl is looking for a file that is
> > missing. I've included the printed message at the tail of
> > the mail.
> > I've farmed xl tools through Ian campbell's cross toolchain wiki.
> >
> > Making cross toolchain using schroot is a good way around building the xen
> > tools, but documentation could be improved if it
> > includes the following facts.
> > Because the current arndale board's rootfs snapshot does not include the
> > proper python library tools, it firstly complains about
> > some missing python modules such as 'commands'.
> > In addition, libyajl library files are also missing. In the cross-compiling
> > phase, I've installed those library's dev port to
> > schroot build directory; however, it has to be explicitly copied to the
> > rootfs so that libxenguest/libxenlight can refer those
> > libraries.
> > Namely, the dependent libraries have to be included in the root file
> > system; I hope the document includes specifically which
> > libraries have run-time dependency, and which modules are required to run.
>
> You are right, we should improve the documentation for cross-compiling
> tools. I have CC'ed Ian that wrote the page.

I don't think the requirement to have the runtime part of the libraries
in your rootfs is particular to cross-compiling, it's just as true if
you do a native compile on some other system.

> > libxl: debug: libxl_create.c:1236:do_domain_create: ao 0x2ea28: create:
> > how=(nil) callback=(nil) poller=0x2e6a8
> > xc: detail: domctl operation failed -- need to rebuild the user-space tool
> > set?
>
> This is the critical failure that you are experiencing.
> Usually it happens because of a mismatch between Xen, Linux and the Xen
> tools.
> In particular make sure that you have "xen: event channel arrays are
> xen_ulong_t and not unsigned long" in both Xen and Linux (or neither).

FWIW although this patch is an ABI break it doesn't (AFAIK) affect the
domctl interface, which is versioned independently. Not to say that
mismatch isn't still a problem (I typically see it as a failure to
connect the PV devices)