Re: [Xen-devel] Fwd: Dom0 can't boot properly

On 2013-04-10 08:45, Mina Jafari wrote:    (he seemed to send this to me and not the list)
I couldn't find config file in /boot or the other place but it's the
config file I used to compile kernel with,and I've tried changing xen
related features in config and compiled kernel over and over but
nothing happened!

grep -i xen /home/MJina/linux-3.2.7/.config
CONFIG_XEN=y
CONFIG_XEN_DEV_EVTCHN=m
I previously said that it won't work even when I mannually start the
services, but if I modprobe xen-evtchn first and try to start services
even thought it says xenstored cannot be started but xend restarts
successfully and xen works.
#modprobe xen-evtchn
# /etc/init.d/xend restart
# /etc/init.d/xencommons start
Starting xenstored.................................
Could not start xenstored
# /etc/init.d/xendomains start
I suspect your kernel is not compiled with the xen dom0 options.

Probably you will find some answers here:
http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Mainline_Linux_Kernel_Configs
Okay so then as suspected, your kernel is not exactly according to spec
for a dom0 kernel. The page I linked says you need:
CONFIG_XEN_DEV_EVTCHN=y
but you have
CONFIG_XEN_DEV_EVTCHN=m

 Do some other comparisons and see what else is wrong. Since "modprobe"
lets you start xend, probably that is equivalent to =y, but something
else is likely wrong. And if those wrong lines are =m instead of "# ...
is not set" then you can probably modprobe them too (for testing at
least... and then recompile with =y later)

(also I think you're missing CONFIG_X86_IO_APIC=y ... make sure to do a full compare)

eg. What i would try first is copy and paste all the dom0 and domu options from the
page into a file, then sort the file with
sort xenwikidom0config > xenwikidom0configsorted
then do the same with your config, and then do a diff

or I'd write a bash script that takes the key name (before the =) from
the xen wiki page config, and greps your config for the option to see
what the setting is.

And after you resolve this, you should report to whoever created your
kernel config that it should be fixed. (or is that you?)