Re: [Xen-devel] Fwd: Dom0 can't boot properly

On 2013-04-09 12:54, Mina Jafari wrote:
Hi all,
I have compiled xen 4.1.2 on Fedora 13 and  kernel 3.2.7 as dom0,but whenever I try to start it,it got stuck because can't start xenstored. if I boot my regular Fedora13 without xen it comes up and if I "disable" xenstored and xencommons and xendomains and xend, dom0 will boot but I should first "modprobe xen-evtchn
"  and then start those services mannually, even though xenstored cant be started even this way!

these are the errors when at boot time:

Starting xenstored......FATAL:Failed to open evtchn device:No such file or directory
xencommons should be started first

I suspect your kernel is not compiled with the xen dom0 options.

Probably you will find some answers here: http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Mainline_Linux_Kernel_Configs

If not, here are some random ideas about how I would attempt to verify this:

post output of:

if booted in your xen:
grep -i xen /boot/config-$(uname -r)

if not, figure out which file it is and post that
ls /boot/config-*xen*
grep -i xen /boot/config-${whateveryoupickedfromabove}

Also you might find a /proc/config.gz if it's not in /boot.

If the output of the grep is very short, lthen it is probably not a xen dom0 kernel. (see the url I pasted above, the "Configuring the Kernel for domU Support" and "Configuring the Kernel for dom0 Support" sections)

boot up with the services disabled, then post the output from:
 ls -a /proc/xen

If the output is:
ls: cannot access /proc/xen: No such file or directory
Then it is likely you are not running a xen kernel. But sometimes it bugged out for me in the past (4.1.2 I think...) and this directory wouldn't be there until another reboot. With 4.1.4, this doesn't happen any more.

Also try starting xencommons manually and post output.

And last, post output from:
xl dmesg
or
xm dmesg

(xm dmesg won't work since xencommons isn't running)

ps. you really should be using 4.1.4 rather than 4.1.2 unless it won't run (in which case you should probably report that while you downgrade).