Re: [Xen-devel] use tasklet to handle init/sipi?

On 28/03/2013 15:29, "Jan Beulich" <JBeulich@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> On 28/03/2013 06:39, "Qiu, Shuang" <shuang.qiu@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> We've patched the enclosed file on xen-unstable and tested on qemu.git and
>>> qemu-upstream-unstable.git as backends.
>>> In both cases, your patch works.
>>
>> Thanks for the testing! I have now committed my patch.
>
> Question now is - do we want this on the stable trees (once it
> passed the push gate of course), despite APIC virtualization
> (which triggered this) isn't in anything pre-4.3?

There are possibly other ways in which an INIT or SIPI could be
broadcast/multicast and not be properly handled -- hvm_x2apic_msr_write()?
vlapic_ipi() via the Viridian MSRs?

I think it's fairly theoretical risk though!

Overall I would be inclined not to backport.

 -- Keir