Re: [Xen-devel] [RFC] CCing MAINTAINERS on patches by default?

>>> On 12.03.13 at 18:00, Ian Campbell <Ian.Campbell@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> With the numbers of patches flying around it can be a bit hard for a
> maintainer to spot patches which (s)he is expected to comment on / deal
> with, especially now that we have a larger number of maintainers of
> varying subsystems etc.
>
> I think it might be time to start asking patch submitters to CC the
> maintainers of the code they are touching, based on the MAINTAINERS
> file.
>
> If people (specifically maintainers) agree with this change then we can
> start by updating the "Submitting Patches" docs on the wiki etc and
> gently start requesting submitters to add the CCs.

I don't have a strong opinion either way, particularly because the
way my mail rules are set up I won't pay much more attention to
stuff I'm getting Cc-ed on than to stuff just sent to xen-devel (the
only aspect catching my attention in that case is the double mails
I'm getting, which at times - when xen-devel delivery lags - isn't
really meaningful at all). IOW to me this would merely mean a
bigger inbox with not much gain.

And then again, even on Linux I find it quite ugly to have to copy
not just maintainers, but people merely having touched the code.

Plus the general expectation there appears to be to mail patches
_to_ the real maintainer(s), and copy others who touched the code
as well as the corresponding list. That, minus the often pointless
copying of other only possibly interested parties who touched the
code in question, would seem more appropriate to me.

Jan