Re: [Xen-devel] Qemu in Xen

On Sat, Mar 2, 2013 at 12:06 PM, Ian Campbell <ian.campbell@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Fri, 2013-03-01 at 08:23 +0000, ææå wrote:
> Hi all,
> I'm now doing something related to Qemu-xen, I'm confused with how
> qemu is integrated in Xen. I found four folders related to Qemu in Xen
> source, qemu-xen, qemu-xen-dir, qemu-xen-traditional and
> qemu-xen-traditional-dir. What are these codes used?

The non-dir ones of these will be symlinks to the other two (or is it
vice versa?)

There are two qemu trees used with Xen. The qemu-xen-traditional tree is
the long standing qemu fork while qemu-xen is the newer upstream qemu
based tree. We are in the process of transitioning to qemu-xen by
default although qemu-xen-traditional will be kept around for
compatibility with existing virtual machines.

> ÂBesides, although all the commands of Qemu are compiled, but I can
> only found two commands related to Xen, which are qemu-img-xen and
> qemu-nbd-xen. What about the other commands such as "qemu"?

These are installed in /usr/lib/xen/bin. In general you should not need
to call or refer to these commands directly -- the Xen toolstack will
take care of it for you.

> ÂIf I want to start a QMP server to control Qemu, what should I do?

libxl will create a socket to control Qemu. In general any control of
qemu should be outed via libxl. Of course if you want to have around
this you could pass the appropriate command line to qemu using xl's
device_model_args config file options.

Ian.

Actually, the qemu-xen-dir and qemu-xen-traditional-dir contains the compiled target files of theÂrelevantÂcodes(qemu-xen and qemu-xen-traditional).

Arthur.

--
Arthur Chunqi Li
Department of Computer Science