Re: [Xen-devel] [xen-unstable test] 16788: regressions - FAIL

>>> On 04.03.13 at 14:20, "Jan Beulich" <JBeulich@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Having some problem testing this - not with the change itself,
> but with something else that I don't understand yet
> (XENMEM_add_to_physmap:XENMAPSPACE_grant_table failing
> during domain construction, but only when hap=0 in the config
> file).

So this is due to a number of factors:

shadow_enable() calls sh_set_allocation() with 1024 as the page
count argument. My guest has 8 vCPU-s (and 2G or memory),
causing (once all vCPU-s got created) shadow_min_acceptable_pages()
to return 9*128=1152. Which means that there won't ever be a
success return from shadow_alloc_p2m_page(). Lowering the
vCPU count to 2 doesn't help - the now available portion of pages
will all be consumed for p2m, and by the time the grant table
physmap insertion happens there's again nothing left. Also
lowering memory size to 512M did finally help.

So apparently xl doesn't set the shadow size early enough, as by
the time domain creation fails, I can't observe any invocation of
shadow_domctl(), i.e. also not libxl__arch_domain_create()'s
XEN_DOMCTL_SHADOW_OP_SET_ALLOCATION.

That's all very unsatisfying, the more with the failure not easily
being recognizable as an out of (shadow) memory related one. So
in the end I spent a couple of hours figuring all this out, rather
than just running a simple test to verify the change above (in
order to commit it quickly, so that hopefully the test failures would
get addressed).

And in the end, Tim, it doesn't look like Linux HVM guests exercise
the cross-page-boundary emulation path, so I can't really test the
code. Shall I put it in nevertheless, or would you be able to give
this a go beforehand?

Jan