Re: [Xen-devel] Xen4.2 debian packaging

Tim,

--On 22 February 2013 17:40:10 +0000 Tim Deegan <tim@xxxxxxx> wrote:

At 17:13 +0000 on 22 Feb (1361553221), Alex Bligh wrote:
The xen debian packaging currently produces a debian package of what
'make install' would produce. This includes a fair amount of development
only stuff, puts the hypervisor in /boot etc.

This packaging is not used by Ubuntu (I don't know about debian).

Debian also has its own packaging of Xen.

The 'make deb' target is explicitly not an attempt to package Xen in a
way that's suitable for deployment -- it's just a way for developers to
to install a build onto a testbox and cleanly uninstall it later.

That's not too far from how we use the minideb thing. We can't develop
on our appliance boxes as they have no disk, so we need a convenient
way to get xen on there. As it happens, we use the same method in
production (it pulls over a pile of .debs). As we use this for other
things too, it was easier than moving over a .tgz.

Your minideb seems much more like a 'proper' package to me (with init
files &c), and I'm inclined to suggest that if Debian's/Ubuntu's own
packaging for Xen doesn't do what you need you should get involved in
Debian/Ubuntu to make it so rather than duplicating effort here.

Sure. Last time I looked neither Ubuntu nor Debian shipped 4.2. That
appears to have changed(-ish), in that Ubuntu raring now has 4.2 in.
We needed to build our own binaries and had sufficient issues with
their packaging before that we went our own way. Perhaps I should
reexamine their packaging again.

--
Alex Bligh