Re: [Xen-devel] State of GPLPV and Windows 8

> > > Windows 8 doesn't actually shut down when you tell it to... It terminates
> > > all
> > > sessions apart from 0 (where services live) and then hibernates, so
> > > 'shutdown' is actually a lot more complex and error prone than it was
> > > before.
> > >

> > I've gotten it all working now, but the restore from hibernate (which
> > appears
> > to use qemu) is slow. The hibernate on a 1GB machine takes seconds but
> > the restore takes over a minute.
> >

> Yes, I've noticed Windows 8 seemingly taking a lot longer to load/restore
> than previous versions but never dug into it. I'm assuming it's going to be
> some suboptimal int13 handing, or maybe Windows 8 is bypassing the f/w
> and driving the IDE device itself?

Direct IDE seems a bit risky... it's all black box stuff though so anything
goes :)

I've been doing a bit more reading and it seems that win8 is able to involve
the storport drive in the restore process too, I think. From
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff563901%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

DumpMode
A value indicating the use of the miniport during dump mode. This member is
included starting with Windows 8. It can have one of the following values.
DUMP_MODE_CRASH - The miniport in dump mode is used for a crashdump.
DUMP_MODE_HIBER - The miniport in dump mode is used for a hibernation.
DUMP_MODE_MARK_MEMORY - The miniport in dump mode is used for marking required
memory.
DUMP_MODE_RESUME - The miniport in dump mode is used for a resume from
hibernation.

In order to play with that I'd need to download the win8 DDK (the visual studio
based one) which I'm not real keen on doing just yet...

James