Re: [Xen-devel] why are qemu-img and vhd-util created files incompatible?

Darren Shepherd writes ("[Xen-devel] why are qemu-img and vhd-util created
files incompatible?"):
> I was wondering if someone can shed some light on why vhd files
> created with qemu-img don't really work right with vhd-util and
> consequentially blktap in general.  To validate the incompatiblity its
> simple enough to do
>
> qemu-img create -f vpc test.vhd 40g
> vhd-util snapshot -n child.vhd -p test.vhd
> Additionally "vhd-util snapshot -n child.vhd -p test.vhd" will give
> you the same 22 error.
>
> I was going to start researching this with the eventual goal of
> changing qemu-img, but I thought I'd ask the experts first.

I'm afraid there aren't many experts here on the vhd code in the
xen-unstable tree.  It's possible that the qemu-img built from
qemu-xen-traditional "qemu-img-xen" might be more compatible.

Please do let us know what you discover.

Thanks,