[Xen-devel] Moving xen*.hg to git

As previously agreed, we will be moving the main Xen trees to git.
The existing .hg trees will continue to exist, but as hg mirrors of
the git history.  Committers will push to the git repo.

The new git tree will be this one:
  http://xenbits.xen.org/gitweb/?p=xen.git
  git://xenbits.xen.org/xen.git
For committers it will be accessible via
  xenbits.xen.org:/home/xen/git/xen.git

It has a branch corresponding to each xen*.hg tree:
  master                xen-unstable.hg
  stable-4.0            xen-4.0-testing.hg
  stable-4.1            xen-4.1-testing.hg
  stable-4.2            xen-4.2-testing.hg
  staging               staging/xen-unstable.hg
  staging-4.0           staging/xen-4.0-testing.hg
  staging-4.1           staging/xen-4.1-testing.hg
  staging-4.2           staging/xen-4.2-testing.hg

We have some background infrastructure work which needs to be complete
before we make this switch, but we are currently expecting/hoping this
to be ready next week.  We tentatively intend to make the switch on
Thursday the 13th of February, assuming none of the committers object.

Committers please note that if you have commits (patch queues) in hg
at this point, they will need to be transferred into git somehow to be
committed and pushed.  After the switch it will not be possible to
accept changes from hg, because we won't have bidirectional mirroring.

If at the point we make the change there are changes in staging that
have not propagated to the corresponding stable or master tree, this
situation will be preserved.  However, revision history will be broken
(by the difference in revision ids), which will slightly weaken the
autotester's push gate.  I therefore recommend that we avoid making
this change if we have a big or scary backlog in any staging tree.

People posting and approving patches, including maintainers, are not
directly affected.

The process will be as follows:
  1. Autotester push gate shut down
  2. Announcement and coordination with committers
  3. hg trees made read-only (other than by forthcoming git->hg mirror)
  4. hg->git mirroring process stopped
  5. git tree made writeable by committers.
  6. git->hg mirror outputs checked for sanity
  7. git->hg mirror enabled, pointing at old hg trees
  8. Autotester push gate told to use git and restarted

If any committer needs help getting git to work please feel free to
ask.  git has many advantages but its user interface has received very
mixed reviews.  We appreciate that you might need handholding.  So if
you get confused, or into trouble, do consult.