Re: [Xen-devel] 4.3 Planning: Taking stock

Please fix four mail client. It lacks proper attribution and produces
too long lines.

On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 11:48:39AM +0000, James Harper wrote:
> > The lack of a cleanup script getting run correctly on network devices
> > was something Roger solved with his hotplug rework for xl in 4.2
> > (essentially the script used to be run after the backend was torn down
> > in xenstore so it couldn't get at many of its parameters)
> The problem here is that ovs remembers all the ports in its database. You do
> add-port once and the port is there forever until you remove it again, even
> over reboots. It's great for eth0 etc because everything "just works" once
> ovs is started, but it's not so great for your vif's if your Dom0 crashes and
> you have stale ports around, or at least it isn't if you expect the brctl
> compatibility layer to do the right thing.

This is no problem as openvswitch does not add new devices, which
appears somewhere after the setup on boot, to existing ports. At least
my test setup works this way. And my script explicitely removes
pre-existing ports.

> A 'transient' option to ovs to not keep the port in the database would solve
> that problem, but such a thing doesn't seem to exist.

Why don't wo handle this on your own with openvswitch upstream?

Bastian

--
Earth -- mother of the most beautiful women in the universe.
                -- Apollo, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" stardate 3468.1