Re: [Xen-devel] 4.3 Planning: Taking stock

>>> On 23.01.13 at 17:52, George Dunlap <George.Dunlap@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> * Xen EFI feature: dom0 able to make use of EFI run-time services
>>

> Daniel Kiper is already working on this, but has just started.  The issue
> (as I understand it) is that if there are systems where the ACPI tables are
> only discoverable via EFI, then Xen+pvops will not be able to boot if pvops
> doesn't have EFI run-time support.  The following version of Xen won't come
> out until probably Q2 2014, and won't hit distros probably until 6 months
> after that.
>
> Given that, what do we think is the likelihood of such systems cropping up
> in that timeframe?  If the answer is anything other than "very low", I
> think that as a strategic measure, this one is probably important enough to
> slip the schedule a little bit if necessary.

Except that this ought to be marked (external) in the first place:
The hypervisor support is all there (otherwise our kernels wouldn't
have been successfully booting on EFI for well over a year), and
hence this work shouldn't really have any impact on the schedule.

The one feature here that requires work in our tree is to be able
to boot via grub.efi (irrespective of how little I personally like that);
I'm not sure Daniel was also planning to look into that part.

Jan