Re: [Xen-devel] Xen 4.3 development update, and stock-taking

On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 03:04:30PM +0000, George Dunlap wrote:
> On 18/01/13 15:41, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk wrote:
> >>Konrad Wilk: Persistent net grants, multi-page network, multi-page blk
> >a) persistent-page grants are in the Linux kernel.
> >
> >b) Multi-page network and persistent net grants.
> >Annie is doing a hollistic look at the network stack
> >and is going to setup a collaboration meeting between interested parties
> >(for right now I think it is Intel, Citrix, Amazon, SuSE, and Oracle)
> >to collaborate on that. There are multiple items in this and it would
> >be good that we don't step on each other toes.
> >

> >c) Mutli-page block. That kind of morphed in me taking a hard look at the
> >block protocol itself and how we can fix this and other.
> >
> >http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2012-12/msg01346.html
> >
> >Need more people to disuss and make sure we are actually on the
> >same page on the issues I enumerated.
> >
> >>Jim Fehlig: libvirt migration support
> >>
> >>Matthew Fioravante: vTPM
> >He posted some patches for the Linux kernel, but they need some tweaking.
> >..
> >>== Not yet complete ==
> >>
> >>* PVH mode (w/ Linux)
> >>   owner: mukesh@oracle
> >>   status (Linux): 3rd draft patches posted.
> >>   status (Xen): RFC submitted
> >>   prognosis: Good
> >The Linux side is good. The Xen hypervisor side needs reviews and
> >foremost the new hypercall needs to be set in stone (otherwsie
> >the Linux patches need to be redone).
>
> OK -- the main question for planning purposes is, does it seem like
> we can get this sorted out by the scheduled feature freeze on March
> 25?  At the moment I'm going to leave this as "Good".

Aye.

> >.. snip..
> >>* Persistent grants for net
> >>   owner: annie.li@citrix
> >>   status: Initial implementation posted
> >>   prognosis: ?
> >Shelved. The perf reports with Xen 4.2 did not show much improvement.
> >They should have but there is something amiss.
> >
> >goto b;
>
> OK -- so I'll put this down as "Not for 4.3".

Aye

> >>* Multi-page blk rings (external)
> >>  - blkback in kernel (konrad@oracle, ?@intel)
> >>  - qemu blkback
> >>   status: Not started.
> >>   prognosis: UNKNOWN
> >goto c;
>
> OK -- we still have a bit of time, so I'll leave this with Roger's
> assessment of "Fair" for now.  We can always review the assessment
> later.

OK. Most of this (all of it?) is Linux related. So I would say that if you
are trying to hit the March deadline (which is when 3.9 merge window
opens), that means Roger has one month to code this up.

> >>* Multi-page net protocol (external)
> >>   owner: ijc@citrix or annie.li@oracle
> >>   status: Initial patches posted (by Wei Liu)
> >>   expand the network ring protocol to allow multiple pages for
> >>   increased throughput
> >goto b;
>
> OK -- I'll mark this as "Poor".

Aye.

> >We might also put on this list:
> >
> >  - hardware performance counters.
> >   Investigate what is important.
>
> This seems a bit to vague.  How do I know when it can be crossed off? :-)

Deferred to Xen 4.4 then. Right now cooking up the list of items
we would like to do and see which ones can be part of GSOC (if any?)