[Xen-devel] i915 KMS framebuffer issues in 4.2.1/3.7.1.

  • To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: "Dr. Greg Wettstein" <greg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2012 08:39:24 -0600
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 26 Dec 2012 14:39:58 +0000

Good morning, hope the week is going well for everyone.

We have been putting 4.2.1 through its paces and noted an issue which
is specific to the kernel running on top of the hypervisor.  It isn't
specific to 4.2.1 but we validated the issue on this platform and on
the 3.7.1 kernel for completeness.

An attempt to mmap the framebuffer provided by the i915 KMS driver
causes a fork() to fail with ENOMEM.  Same hardware and kernel on
bare-metal works fine.  The 'fbterm' utility demonstrates the problem
but we can demonstrate on a minimal implemenation of 'mmap + forkpty'.

Would be happy to test any patches or ideas if people have a though on
the issue.

Have a good day.

As always,
Dr. G.W. Wettstein, Ph.D.   Enjellic Systems Development, LLC.
4206 N. 19th Ave.           Specializing in information infra-structure
Fargo, ND  58102            development.
PH: 701-281-1686
FAX: 701-281-3949           EMAIL: greg@xxxxxxxxxxxx