Re: [Xen-devel] Only one CPU core detected when booting on UEFI

Thanks for the reply! I'll respond inline.

On Fri, Dec 21, 2012 at 2:59 PM, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk <konrad.wilk@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sun, Dec 16, 2012 at 02:37:59AM -0500, Xiao-Long Chen wrote:
> Hi Xen developers,
>
> I have been having a problem where only one CPU core is being detected.
> I'm using a Lenovo W520 with a UEFI firmware and an Intel Core i7
> 2720qm (4 real cores, 4 virtual cores). When I boot, I see
> "Dom0 has maximum 1 VCPUs", or something similar, scroll by.

Ooh.

> In addition, only 10 GB out of my 12 GB of memory is recognized and
> ACPI is not working properly (CPU frequency scaling and battery info
> are not reported).
>
> This problem has been reported before (for the same laptop too) here:
> http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2012-06/msg00087.html but
> unfortunately, the person who sent the message didn't reply with more
> information.
>
> Here are the outputs of dmesg with and without Xen:
>
> Without Xen: http://paste.kde.org/626222/raw/
> With Xen: http://paste.kde.org/626228/raw/

Hm, this:
[    0.000000] ACPI BIOS Bug: Error: A valid RSDP was not found (20120913/tbxfroot-219)

is a problem. The workaround was mentioned on the mailing list to use
the acpi_rsdp=0xbabfe000

I tried booting with this, but the kernel immediately crashed
(I think). I booted with 'acpi_rsdp=0xbabfe000' and without 'quiet' and
the system hangs while loading the initramfs. I could not see any sort
of response on the system and could not ssh in.

> and some information from xl:
>
> xl vcpu-list: http://paste.kde.org/626234/raw/
> xl info: http://paste.kde.org/626240/raw/
> xl dmesg: http://paste.kde.org/626246/raw/

And Xen has the same issue:

(XEN) ACPI Error (tbxfroot-0218): A valid RSDP was not found [20070126]

And it looks to be running in a legacy state - with no calls to EFI.

> This is my first time venturing into Xen territory, so please let me
> know if there's any other information needed.

Did you try to boot xen.efi by itself - without using the GRUB loader?
There is a nice writeup of how to do this in docs/misc/efi.markdown.

Booting from xen.efi, I see "Dom0 has maximum 8 VCPUs" as expected, but
Linux is still seeing only one core. In addition, my keyboard and mouse
do not work (internal laptop PS/2). I was able to get the dmesg and
'xl dmesg' outputs from ssh though:

dmesg (no xen): http://paste.kde.org/629684/raw/
dmesg (xen.efi): http://paste.kde.org/629690/raw/
xl dmesg: http://paste.kde.org/629696/raw/

The system is incredibly sluggish as when booted with GRUB, but that
may just be due to one core being available.

Also CC-ing Daniel if he has some ideas.

Thanks a lot!

Xiao-Long Chen