Re: [Xen-devel] introducing python-xen

Hello,

On Mon, Dec 17, 2012 at 12:08 PM, Ian Jackson <Ian.Jackson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> William Pitcock writes ("[Xen-devel] introducing python-xen"):
>> I would like to introduce the Python Xen library, which uses libxs and
>> libxc directly to provide some manipulation functions for the domains
>> running on a hypervisor.
>
> Thanks, that's interesting.
>
> However, we would recommend nowadays to build this kind of
> functionality on top of libxl.  The existing python bindings for libxl
> may need some work, but they're probably a good starting point.
>
> Ian.

The plan is to eventually shift over to using the libxl bindings once
they become more mature.  We had a project goal to build a cloud using
the XL toolstack as a basis instead of the xend toolstack, but various
people have told me that the Python bindings aren't ready for
prime-time yet.

We did not feel that shadowing the Xen package in Alpine was worth it
just to get an incomplete set of bindings, and we had to come up with
a solution so we could proceed with the project on time.  I intend to
come back and look at the state of the libxl bindings later, once we
have satisfied our main requirements.  I agree that poking at the
hypervisor and xenstore directly from Python is suboptimal, and I
would prefer not to do it.

William