Re: [Xen-devel] migrate vps from xm to xl toolstack

On Fri, Dec 7, 2012 at 5:46 AM, Vasiliy Tolstov <v.tolstov@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello, xen  team.
As i understand migrate from xm to xl is not possible.
But is that possible to migrate vps by hands? For example on xm node i
do xm save and on xl node doins xl restore... ?

I take it you're looking to do a "rolling upgrade" of a set of servers?  I don't think I had thought of that before. :-)

A couple of points though:
* The save file is actually not made by xm or xl, but by the lower-level xc libraries which are shared by both.  So although I don't think we've tested saving with xm and restoring with xl, I have every reason to think it will work just fine.
* Switching from xm to xl and back should just be a matter of starting or stopping xend.  You could try starting xend on the "upgraded" side temporarily, just long enough to do the migration, and then shut it down again.  There are certain commands which xl can't safely do if xend is running, but xl will automatically look for xend and refuse to execute if that's the case.  Then you can just shut xend down, and xl will work again.

Obviously you should test this out on some non-critical VMs before doing them on production VMs. :-)

 -George

--
Vasiliy Tolstov,
Clodo.ru