[Xen-devel] Updated ATI passthrough patches.

  • To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: "Dr. Greg Wettstein" <greg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2012 18:24:59 -0600
  • Delivery-date: Sun, 02 Dec 2012 00:25:46 +0000

Hi, hope the weekend is going well for everyone.

I just put a set of updated patches to support ATI passthrough on a
primary video adapter on the FTP site.  The URL's are as follows:

        ftp://ftp.enjellic.com/pub/xen/xen-4.1.3.ati-passthrough.patch

        ftp://ftp.enjellic.com/pub/xen/xen-4.2.0.ati-passthrough.patch

These patches have been validated to work up through kernel 3.4.18
with the xm control plane.  We are currently working on validating
whether or not there are passthrough issues with xl.

The original ATI pass-through patches posted to xen-devel fail with a
qemu-dm segmentation fault on recent kernels.  This is caused by
changes which have been made with respect to proper enforcement of the
permitted port ranges on the ioperm() system call.

Since these patchs allow a primary graphics adapter to be used for
passthrough I wanted to remind everyone of the availability of the
following utility script:

        ftp://ftp.enjellic.com/pub/xen/run-passthrough

Which automates the process of unplugging and re-plugging a video card
and optionally a USB controller.  A script like this, or a network
login, is needed in order to use passthrough on a primary graphics
adapter.

Have a good week.

Greg

As always,
Dr. G.W. Wettstein, Ph.D.   Enjellic Systems Development, LLC.
4206 N. 19th Ave.           Specializing in information infra-structure
Fargo, ND  58102            development.
PH: 701-281-1686
FAX: 701-281-3949           EMAIL: greg@xxxxxxxxxxxx