Re: [Xen-devel] ATS and dependent features

  • To: Jan Beulich <JBeulich@xxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Zhang, Xiantao" <xiantao.zhang@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2012 09:19:43 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Cc: "Zhang, Xiantao" <xiantao.zhang@xxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 29 Nov 2012 09:20:14 +0000

I mean Xen shouldn't  allow these capabilities can be detected by dom0.  If it
does, we need to fix it.

> >   Perhaps we need to forbid dom0 controlling these features.
>
> That's what I was trying to find out. How to properly do that with pv-ops I
> don't know; in our forward ported kernels I can simply make the respective
> config options conditional upon !XEN.

As to the clean solution, Xen should intercept all the accesses to the device's
PCI config space from dom0, and emulates the related registers.  In your simple
solution, it maybe break the kernel running with these features on native
hardware.  If adopts pv_ops method to solve such corner issues, it may be not
acceptable by upstream kernel.
Xiantao